Pages

Monday 22 September 2014

Inferior Inspiration #14: Hello, Holidays edition!

Source: here

Hello, Holidays is the name of a (fairly brief) blog post series I've decided to start in the run up to an imminent and very exciting trip to the USA.  Craig and I leave for New York City one week on Wednesday (eek!) and will stay there for a week before driving to Boston, via Centralia and Scranton in Pennsylvania because we are massive nerds.  

In honour of this trip, my first Hello, Holidays post is a travel clothes and accessory wishlist with a few dream must haves for my upcoming adventure.




1. Of course, sensible shoes should be high on any traveller's shopping list.  I've actually already treated myself to a pair of these patent Dr Martens 1461 shoes (a purchase made even sweeter by a cheeky 25% off voucher during their £3 sale a few weeks ago) in anticipation of both our USA trip and the impending winter months.  They remind me of shiny new school shoes, but with a punky edge.  Hopefully the investment will pay off and these will be brilliant for traipsing the length and breadth of Manhattan and beyond over the next few years! (£80)

2. Whilst buying my Doc Martens, I also spied their tiny but gorgeous 7 inch leather satchels on a shelf and it was love at first sight.  I'm a big fan of satchels, and - although there is a special place in my heart for huge, cavernous handbags - a smaller bag is easier to carry around and keep a watchful eye over whilst sightseeing.  Sadly my bank balance wouldn't stretch to one of these beauties, but maybe one day!  I've seen a few dupes for this style in Primark, so I might settle for one of those in the mean time. (£45)

3. As a Scottish native, I'm always prepared for unexpected rain showers and I will be packing my trusty parka.  On a recent flight to France, I spotted a fellow passenger wearing this yellow lace, plastic raincoat which, frankly, looked amazing in person.  I very excitedly tried to source one for myself, only to find out that it was a Topshop piece that (devastatingly) is now sold out and unavailable, apart from the odd size 8 on eBay.  At a push, I might settle for something like this more traditional yellow rain mac from Asos (£90), but I'm determined to stay on the hunt for something more unique. (was £48)

4. Again, I actually already own this exact insulated travel cup in a blue floral pattern by Paperchase.  It was a birthday present from my sweet friend Nicola, and I think it's amazing.  Our NYC hotel room reportedly comes with its own Nespresso coffee maker and (yes, just to repeat, because I am a massive nerd) my plan is to fill my travel mug there in the morning to save some dollars on takeaway coffees.  The downside to this plan is that I will then have to carry the mug around with me for the rest of the day, but it's small enough that I don't think I'll have too much of a problem! (£6)

5. I've always been an advocate for keeping a travel journal, and I've done this on and off since I was a kid.  My accounts of family trips as a 7 year old are hilarious to read now, but they are also a good way to bring back fond holiday memories, filling in the gaps between and stories behind photos.  There are plenty of lovely journals and notebooks out there to choose from, of course, but I think this cartography journal and pen from John Lewis is particularly nice.  It would definitely make a good gift for someone about to head off travelling. (£14.95)

Do you have any holidays coming up, or any recommendations for NYC and Boston?  Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment