Pages

Wednesday 3 October 2012

Lately I have been:

Listening to:

arcadefire.com
Funeral (2004) by Arcade Fire - I bought this album recently with some birthday money.  Although I already knew the song 'Rebellion (Lies)' from it, I had never really listened to anything else by Arcade Fire.  I listened to the whole thing from start to finish (which is an extremely rare occurrence for me!) on the way to and from work last week, and I was pretty much hooked instantly.  The album is really strong from the beginning, and there is only one song on there that I'm not a fan of.  My favourite track would have to be 'Neighborhood #2 (Laïka)', mostly because it has my name in it, but 'Neighborhood #2 (Tunnels)', 'Une Année Sans Lumière' and 'Wake Up' are also definitely worth checking out.

shutupandplaythehits.com
As much LCD Soundsystem as possible - I have loved the dance-punk band LCD Soundsystem for a few years now, although (somewhat embarrassingly) I actually first heard them on the soundtrack of Gossip Girl...  Last month, I saw the documentary Shut Up and Play the Hits (2012) at the cinema, about LCD Soundsystem's very last, sell out gig in Madison Square Garden.  Seeing the film reignited my interest in their music, and now I can't stop listening.  If you already like the band, you will love the film, which mixes footage from the gig itself with clips of James Murphy (LCD's frontman) talking about why they decided to split up at the height of their success.  If you have never heard of them, I think watching Shut Up and Play the Hits might just convert you.
While you're waiting for it to come out on DVD, I would recommend having a listen to 'Losing My Edge', 'Daft Punk Is Playing at My House' and 'All My Friends'.



Watching:

nbc.com/the-office
The Office US - My old flatmate got me addicted to the American version of The Office last year (I hated the original British show), and lately Craig and I have been re-watching it from the very beginning. 


Playing:

deadrising-2.com
Dead Rising 2 - I hate scary movies, especially gory ones, and yet at the moment I'm very much enjoying playing my way through ridiculous zombie apocalypse game Dead Rising 2 on Craig's Xbox.  I think this is probably my old flatmate, Liam's, influence as well...


Reading:
how-tobeawoman.com
How To Be a Woman by Caitlin Moran - I've been reading this book on and off for a few months now, after a recommendation on Lauren's blog.  It's very funny, but also thought provoking.  Moran is both convincing and funny, and rather than feeling lectured about feminism, I actually feel far more knowledgeable on the subject.  I hope to find the time to finish this book soon!

How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment